This is an ongoing series about the book Love Does by Bob Goff. I am exploring each chapter and sharing a few of my thoughts.
Chapter 12 – Wow, What A Hit!
I used to think the words spoken about us describe who we are, but now I know they shape who we are.
Bob shares a story about how a baseball coach spoke life-changing words in his life. He essentially talks about the power of naming. Bob shares how it so life-giving to call something out of another – to name them. Like Jesus calling Peter a rock, “he was calling something out from inside Peter” even though Peter will deny Christ three times. Jesus knows all of this and still speaks of Peter as a rock.
Today, let us think about the words we are speaking. Are we calling beauty out of another? Are we Naming them?
“I think God speaks something meaningful into our lives and it fills us up and helps us change the world regardless of ourselves and our shortcomings. His name for us is His beloved…He hopes we’ll start to see ourselves as His beloved rather than think of all of the reasons that we aren’t.”
- Live differently – Live as Love Does (theycallmekeeks.com)
- Inside “Love Does”: I’m With You (theycallmekeeks.com)
- Book Review: Bob Goff’s Love Does (theycallmekeeks.com)
- Failure is part of the process (theycallmekeeks.com)
- Inside “Love Does” (theycallmekeeks.com)